Spam attack

21 April 2012

As we are facing a serious spam attack against our site we had no choice but to remove a lot of articles from the last two years of the youth exchange. I’m sorry for this, bit it was the only way we found to get rid of masses and masses of spam comments.

Kommentare deaktiviert
 | Posted by admin | Categories: Allgemein |

Map of the tour

25 April 2011

Tour Guide-Jewish Immigration in Berlin auf einer größeren Karte anzeigen
Tour Guide-Jewish Immigration in Berlin auf einer größeren Karte anzeigen

To the map on Google Maps, so you can have some more informations.

Stations of the tour:

  1. Starting point of the tour is the New Synagoge in the Oranienburger Straße,
  2. Jewish School (Große Hamburger Straße)
  3. Altenheim
  4. Jewish Cementary with the grave of Moses Mendelssohn
  5. Hackescher Markt
  6. Hackesche Hofe (Rosenthaler Straße)
  7. Warenhaus Wertheim (Sophienstraße/ Rosenthalerstraße)
  8. St. Hedwigs Hospital (Große Hamburger Straße)
  9. Ahawah (Auguststraße)
  10. Jewish Elementary School for Girls
  11. Jewish Hospital
  12. Adass Jisroel (Tucholskystraße 40)

At the end you can have a coffee or a kosher meal in the restaurant at the last station.

Source of all fotos is Wikimedia (with CCL).

Kommentare deaktiviert
 | Posted by admin | Categories: Berlin-Pankow - Tel Aviv 2011 |

Hackescher Markt, Berlin

25 April 2011

The “Hackescher Markt” placed in the “Spandauer Vorstadt” of the Berlin district called “Mitte” is an important traffic hub and famous initial point of the Berlin nightlife. It is named after Townmajor Hans Christoph Friedrich Graf von Hacke.

In 1750 by order of Friedrich II.  count Hans C. Friedrich von Hacke led lay out the square. Quickly it became famous as the “Hackescher Markt”.

Whereby the development of the public traffic the square processed to an inner-city hub,that happened in the late 19th and early 20th.

During the Second World War a part of the surrounding development was destroyed. When the “Alexanderplatz” was reconstructed in the 1960 the still broken area around the “Hackischer Markt” lost more and more its interest for the Berlin people.

In the course of the German reunification in 1990 the reconstruction continued and so the square turned to lively place again. By the time it became kind of a entertainment district and got it´s flair back.

These days the “Hackecher Markt” and it´s surrounding with a range of sights,cultural institutions and gastronomic places like “Die Hackischen Höfe”, “Der Lustgarten”, “Berliner Dom”, “Museumsinsel”, “Neue Synagoge” and “Tacheles” is as loved by Berliners and also by tourists as never before.

Kommentare deaktiviert
 | Posted by Roni-Luise | Categories: Berlin-Pankow - Tel Aviv 2011 |

Ahawah

25 April 2011

The architect Eduard Knobloch finished the building, that original was planned to be a hospital in 1860.

After World War I it became a neighbourhood house for refuged children. Later it was also used for diverse charitable establishments.

The name Ahawah comes from the hebrew and means love.

The director of the orphanage, Beate Berger, early started to collect money from famous jewish people, knowing that the children would have a difficult future.

She also went to Palestina  and also inagurated a Ahawah. 1934 she brought the first children there. She saved at least 100 jewish children. 1940 she died in Israel.

The home near Haifa exists til today.

Kommentare deaktiviert
 | Posted by candelas crew | Categories: Berlin-Pankow - Tel Aviv 2011 |

Jewish hospital

25 April 2011

The construction started in 1858 to a design by Eduard Knoblauch, at about the same time the New Synagogue at the  Oranienburger Straße was built, also to a design by Knoblauch. It was finished in 1861. Between the two world wars, there were some different Jewish social community, among them the children’s home Ahawa. However, a restoration is planned and a new use for building is being discussed.

.

Kommentare deaktiviert
 | Posted by edenpaula | Categories: Berlin-Pankow - Tel Aviv 2011 |

Warenhaus Wertheim

25 April 2011

The Warenhaus Wertheim was designed by Alfred Messel. It shows very well the roots of a remarkable raising. Even if it is not as imposing as the building in the Leipzigerstaße, it is worth to see.

The founder Georg Wertheim, son of a businessman from Stralsund, started with a little clothesshop in berlin in 1885. It was very successful, so he was capable to open the impressive and first Warenhaus in Berlin.

11 Years later he inagurated the second Warenhaus in the Sophienstraße. The concept was to treat every custumer the same not paying attention to his origins.

It was very popular among big parts of the population. But with the rise to power of the nationalsocialists, there was a lot of propaganda against the Warenhaus. They said it would sell goods with bad quality and that the workers had to suffer hard working conditions.

With the years it became worse. Expecially when the nazis started to dismiss jewish and foreigners, the institution lost success.

The fall had its lowest point on the 1 of January 1937 when Georg Wertheims was dispossessed. His wife, under the pression of the nazis, got a divorce from him and kept the Warenhaus. So it was practically in the hands of the Nationalsocialist regime.

Kommentare deaktiviert
 | Posted by candelas crew | Categories: Berlin-Pankow - Tel Aviv 2011 |

At Beth Café (=coffee house), Israeli and Jewish specialities are on offer (humus and falafel, bagels, filled fish with horseradish, medschádera, matzoh dumplings, knishes, and much more). In addition it offers many tea and coffee specialities, as well as kosher wines. All meals are naturally kosher and are prepared under religious supervision.

Beth Café is a non-profit organisation of the Jewish Congregation Adass Yisroel, Berlin (Public Corporation), and was opened in 1991 in the presence of the former Head Rabbi of Israel, Rabbi Israel Meir Lau.
Beth Café is an integral part of the Congregation, by which it is supported and managed. The café was founded because of the Congregation’s duty to provide a kosher eating option for Berlin’s Jewish population and their guests. It serves the purpose of allowing the congregation members, Jewish citizens, and Jewish visitors in Berlin to observe the mandatory food regulations of Jewish religious law. Correspondingly, the provision of kosher food to the Jewish population of Berlin is the religious mandate of Beth Café.

Kommentare deaktiviert
 | Posted by Roni-Luise | Categories: Berlin-Pankow - Tel Aviv 2011 |

St. Hedwigs hospital

25 April 2011

The St Hedwigs hospital was founded by four nons 1846. In the second world war the nons hide some Jewish people, so that they were not deported. When the Russians came it was protected, because it was a hospital.

The second Jewish hospital was in the Auguststraße. It was founded 1882.

Kommentare deaktiviert
 | Posted by edenpaula | Categories: Berlin-Pankow - Tel Aviv 2011 |

In the 18th century children of the Jewish communities were barely taught in writing,Talmud and bibel knowledge. Only wealthy families had the posilbility to get a private teacher for their children.

Moses Mendelsohn,a famous Jewish spotter was bent on submitting school education for every one,including children coming from poor homes. Moreover he wanted to establish a bigger variability of subjects like German,Mathematics,French,Biology and Physics.

So Mendelsohn and his friends decided to found a school thus on the initiative of David Friedländers und Isaak Itzig the Jewish school came up in 1778.

The year 1860 became an important milestone on the way to the school building in the Große Hamburger Straße 27, the costruction of the school building was granted.  Employing by financial help the Jewish community was able to start building the school in 1861 and reached finishing it already one year later in 1862.

In 1938  Georg Feige turned to the leading headmaster,he later died in 1944 in Theresienstadt.The “Reich Security Head Office” declared the necessary of vacating the school. Afterwards the former school building was used as a deportation camp for Berlin Jews between 1942 till 1945.

After the nazi regime the kept going through a lot of changes. In 1993/4 the Jewish school finally turned to a grammar school as it is at these days.

Nowadays the “Jüdische Oberschule Berlin” is a well known sectarian grammar school placed in the center of Berlin. The number of students is about 440 which are taught by 44 teachers. The school is visited by religious students no matter which religion they follow,but as well you will find nonreligious students.

Special about the school is the obligatory subject called Jewish studies,what for example contents Hebrew classes and religion classes.

There is also kosher lunch available at the cafeteria and preparing Jewish feasts is part of the school life.

So all in all the “Jüdische Oberschule Berlin” is characterized by the family atmosphere created among other things by the offer of after school activities and the closeness and connection to the Jewish culture.

Source of the foto: Wikimedia

In addition to the forerun article there is attached the link to the homepage of the “Jüdische Oberschule Berlin”.

Homepage-Jüdische Oberschule

Kommentare deaktiviert
 | Posted by Roni-Luise | Categories: Berlin-Pankow - Tel Aviv 2011 |

The Square at the Rosenthal Gate (today Rosenthal Square) around 1890 in Berlin-Spandauer Vorstadt (today in Mitte) ()

Berlin, Hackescher Markt and Rosenthaler Straße around 1900 * Author: unknown * Date: around 1900 *

 | Posted by elinor | Categories: Allgemein |

Videos, Slideshows and Podcasts by Cincopa Wordpress Plugin